Friday 10 July 2009

Only Death Is Real

Few bands mean as much to me as Celtic Frost. Their aesthetic as much as their music struck a deep chord from the very beginning - the atmosphere of barbaric splendour running through the lyrics, the riffs, the helmets and the eyeliner. To Mega Therion is in my view the closest metal ever got to realising the Wagnerian ideal of the Gesamptkunstwerk - a perfect synthesis of music, design and artistic vision. In this record is everything I want to achieve for my own music - breathtaking sweeps of epic immensity, searing golden highs and pitch-black frozen lows. When I am lost and mazed I can play this record and look out over empires and continents. Here is everything, all Innocence and Wrath.
Only Death Is Real: an illustrated history of Hellhammer and early Celtic Frost by Tom Gabriel Fischer with Martin Eric Ain will be published in November 2009 by Bazillion Points.

No comments: